Our dogs can experience stress and anxiety just as often as we can. While their personal triggers may differ from ours, their anxiety still has the ability to impact their life. Since our dogs can’t communicate their struggles verbally, their anxiety often manifests in behavioral problems and destructive behaviors seen around our home.
Gracie To The Rescue knows how much of an impact that anxiety can have on your pup, and the ways their stress can affect your home environment. In this article we’ll dive into the common reasons behind anxiety in dogs, how to recognize the signs of anxiety in your pup, and how our Hemp Calming Chews can bring them soothing relief!
Can dogs have anxiety?
Unfortunately, our dogs can fall victim to anxiety and stress just as we can. While they may have different causes behind their uneasy feelings, it can still impact them just as severely. Since so many dog owners are unaware of the possibility of their canine companion being stressed out by out their life changes, most signs of anxiety are chalked up to bad behavior.
Our dogs can’t verbally communicate the anxious feelings that are rushing through their body, so they turn to reacting in the only way that they know how; through physical and destructive behaviors. Since these anxious feelings can be so overpowering for our furry friends, they can greatly benefit from a calming supplement that can help to soothe their nerves.
What can cause anxiety in dogs?
There are an array of causes that can result in anxiety and stress for your furry friend. Things that may not seem like a drastic change to us can result in serious stress for our canine companions. If you’ve noticed any behavioral changes in your pup, it’s time to take a look at the following anxiety triggers and consider if any of them are present in your home.
Causes of dog anxiety include:
- Sudden disappearance of a person they were close with
- Loud events such as thunderstorms, fireworks, etc
- Brining a new pet into your home
- Car rides
- Trips to the vet’s office
- A new person in your home
- Being left alone for long hours
- Lack of daily exercise or energy release
- Current illness
- Pain associated with medical conditions, recent injury, recent surgery, etc
- Pain associated with aging
- Moving into a new home
- Any other stressful change in their environment or daily life
While being aware of these stressful periods in your dog’s life can help them work through their struggles, sometimes they still require an extra boost. Dogs that are working through big changes in their environment or other stressful situations can begin to thrive when they have the assistance of a calming substance, such as the Hemp Calming Chews.
Signs Of Anxiety In Dogs
Now that you know your dog can experiencing anxiety and stress, how do you know that they are currently struggling? A dog’s anxiety has the ability to mask itself as behavioral issues, so the signs can vary.
So what are some common signs of anxiety in dogs?
- Urinating and defecating in the house
- Destructive behavior
- Excessive barking and howling
- Self mutilation such as licking and chewing on their skin
- Compulsive or repetitive behaviors
- Depression or disinterest in behaviors they once enjoyed
- Restless behavior
- Compulsive chewing or licking at their paws
Beneficial Ingredients In Our Formula
Some dogs are just more anxious than others. Whether they are currently experiencing life changes or are more sensitive to nerves, they can use some assistance to help them take the edge off. Luckily, some of the natural ingredients that have brought humans so much relief to calm our anxiety have been proven to have just as great of an impact on our furry friends.
Some of the ingredients in our Calming Treats that can help to calm your pup include:
- Hemp Seed Oil & Powder: First, it’s important to realize that hemp has absolutely no psychoactive ingredients that can cause a dog to become “intoxicated.” Though it comes from the cannabis plant, it does not contain the factors that result in any kind of high. Hemp seed oil and powder can offer multiple benefits for our canine friends. Hemp is known to improve cognitive thinking in dogs, relieve anxiety, stimulate a calming feeling, and even relieve symptoms from neurological disorders such as seizures.
- Chamomile: Chamomile can be used to target a few different triggers of anxiety in dogs. Chamomile itself has a mild sedative effect on dogs, as well as the ability to relieve inflammation and minor pain. When given orally, chamomile can soothe your canine, relieve mild bowel inflammation, and even cure their motion sickness.
- Passion Flower: Passion flower has been around for quite some time. It was used by the ancient Aztecs in their medical protocols for its astounding ability to soothe pain. Passion flower can help to soothe minor aches and pains, promote a calming effect, and even induce sleep in dogs that struggle to settle down and rest.
- Valerian Root: Valerian root is another substance that’s been used in ancient medicine. Valerian root is a wonderful and natural way to help promote relaxation in your pup, and even relieve mild inflammation and pain.
- L-Tryptophan: L-Tryptophan is an amino acid that affects the brain in dogs that are experiencing stress. By targeting the stress response in the brain, this substance can help to promote relaxation and stabilize their mood by keeping their serotonin levels at bay.
- Ginger Root: Ginger is a wonderful addition to our calming chew, as it helps to combat motion sickness and gastrointestinal upset. Since anxiety can be brought on by motion sickness and other triggers that go along with commonly stressful situations in dogs, the ginger root addition can target nausea, will the other ingredients target anxiety.
Benefits Of Our Hemp Calming Chews
It’s clear that our Hemp Calming Chews have a list of impressive ingredients that can target every aspect of canine stress, but let’s do a quick review of the ways in which this supplement can change your dog’s life.
Some benefits of the anxiety relief chews include:
- Helps target hyperactive behavior in dogs
- Can relieve aggression associated with anxiety
- Can calm dogs that are going through stressful changes
- Can soothe dogs as they go to the vet, ride in the car, or other activities that can be scary for your pup
- Can calm your dog while you are away from home and help them rest
- Can be given to dogs at night to help them enjoy a restful night of sleep
- Can combat motion sickness
- Can help to relieve minor aches and pains in dogs
- Can help to diminish behavioral problems by targeting the stress and anxiety behind the problem
The possible benefits of a calming supplement are endless, and can truly transform your anxious pup’s life. If you have a hyperactive or nervous dog in your life, it’s time to check out our Hemp Calming Chews!